Whether you’re a Grand Rapids local, or visiting the city specifically for Art Prize, don’t get stuck in the crowds while you’re hangry (that’s hungry and angry, which is no fun at all).
I’ve put together this checklist of restaurants and dishes you have to try while you’re in Grand Rapids for Art Prize. These recommendations were compiled using reviews from Yelp and an interactive map of the event.
Grand Rapids Public Museum
Let’s start it off with a bang! If you’re visiting the Grand Rapids Public Museum to see their collection of entries (including a full outdoor display!), then you don’t want to miss an extraordinary experience at The Chop House. Upscale dining in a classic atmosphere (and you’ll probably need a reservation).
- Try the Cheddar Au Gratin Potatoes
- Stay warm with a bowl of Lobster Bisque
- Finish with a good old fashioned steak
There are seven pieces on display at this indoor venue, which has been recently upgraded to provide a beautiful Arena District experience. While you’re near, definitely check out HopCat, a popular brewery and pub.
- Sample one of their many craft beers
- A thick, juicy Bar Zee Burger with all the fixings (and jalapenos!)
- Don’t forget the Crack Fries, which are better than you’ve heard
Women’s City Club
Continue your cultural trek at the historic Grand Rapids Women’s City Club. This gorgeous two-story villa serves as a reminder of classic 19th century architecture of the area. For an eclectic day out, why not mix it up a bit and go for some spicy sweet Thai cuisine?
- Slightly sweet Pad Ped flavored with coconut milk
- Deliciously spicy Curry Pad Thai
- Thai Iced Tea if you’ve got a sweet tooth
Frederik Meijer Gardens
It wouldn’t be a proper trip to Grand Rapids unless you visited this gorgeous garden and sculpture park. When you’re done taking in the sights, just roll on down the street to Clique Coffee Bar to warm up.
- Great coffee, lattes, and espressos
- Silky, smooth cappuccino
- Big, locally baked cookies to finish off your day!
Have a recommendation to add to the list? Leave a comment below!